In case you missed it last night, Justin Bieber won Best Male Artist at the Billboard Music Awards. Some, like us, find this appalling. While you may not necessary like his music, one has to admit that when he first started out as a musician he was pretty talented. Over the years however, he’s gotten way too cocky and indifferent. Here are some reasons why Ed Sheeran should have won the award, based upon talent and character.
2. On General Talent: Ed Sheeran is a talented multi-instrumentalist, while Bieber can only play the drums half-assed.
3. Singing Ability: Justin Bieber has been recently known to lip sync during concerts (gasp!) Our friend Ed doesn’t need fancy equipment to showcase how strong his pipes are.
4. Treatment of Women: Here’s an excerpt of some lyrics from one of JB’s recent single, “What Do You Mean?”:
When you nod your head yes
But you wanna say no
What do you mean? Hey
When you don’t want me to move
But you tell me to go
What do you mean?
He also repeats similar versions of these phrases multiple, multiple times throughout the song, as if we didn’t get the point already. Clearly, he’s showing just how little he actually knows women. If he cared enough, maybe he’d try a little harder. On the contrary, here’s an excerpt from Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud”:
When my hair’s all but gone and my memory fades
And the crowds don’t remember my name
When my hands don’t play the strings the same way (mmm…)
I know you will still love me the same
Aw, how sweet. Ed doesn’t even have to try to come off as caring and loving, whereas Bieber tries to come off as masculine, but it just ends up making him look like a douche.
5. Lyricism: The song “Don’t” by Ed Sheeran showcases his ability for complex and interesting storytelling about the fine line between friends and friends with benefits. See the example below:
Now she’s staying at my place and loves the way I treat her
Singing out Aretha, all over the track like a feature
And never wants to sleep I guess that I don’t want to either
But me and her we make money the same way
Four cities, two planes the same day
Compare this to Justin Bieber’s eloquent tune, “Boyfriend”:
Baby take a chance or you’ll never ever know
I got money in my hands that I’d really like to blow
Swag swag swag, on you
Chillin by the fire while we eatin’ fondue
I dunno about me but I know about you
So say hello to falsetto in three two swag
Why are they eating fondue? And what does “swag on you” even mean?! Quit forcing the rhymes, Justin, and learn how to write real songs.
6. Tattoos: Who wore them better?
See J Biebs’ HERE.
See Ed’s HERE.
7. Treatment of Fans: Bieber recently made an announcement on Instagram that he will stop taking photos with fans. Permanently. When Ed Sheeran sees someone in a mall covering one of his songs, he’s more than happy to join in.
8. General Douchiness: Do we really need to explain further? (He’s so much of a douche, that Argentina banned him from performing there)